Holiday Season is prime time for lots of tasting treats and cheat meals. We all know most of these are not necessarily the healthiest options, but its okay, the holidays only come around once a year right? Well yes, but there are some relatively healthier alternatives to the typical sugar cookies and fudge. Next time you are going to a holiday gathering bring this delicious appetizer - Mini Cheese balls
-8 ounces softened low fat cream cheese
-1 cup shredded low fat sharp cheddar
-1 cup Unsalted sliced almonds
-1/2 cup chives
-1/2 cup chopped turkey bacon bits
-1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
-1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
-1 tsp black pepper
-1 tsp seasoned salt
1. In a medium mixing bowl, mix 8 ounces softened cream cheese with 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest and 1 cup shredded firm cheese (smoked gouda, parmesan, or jack cheese can be substituted for cheddar).
2. Season with salt and pepper to desired taste.
3. Form into 1-inch balls out of the mixture and place on a baking sheet.
4. Cover with plastic wrap and chill 4 hours
5. Once the balls are firm, roll in toppings. Here I used chives, turkey bacon, and almonds. Other suggestions for toppings include chopped pistachios, tarragon, pumpkin seeds, and white sesame seeds.
6. Serve with crackers of choice